Map Preparation and California Law
The Technical and Practical Aspects of Map Preparation with regards to California Law
This is a 2 hour class that focuses in on the technical and practical requirements in preparing Corner Records and Record of Surveys in California. Specifically, the course discusses:
- CA Business & Professions Code “PLS Act” (B & P) §8710.1 – Purpose of PLS Act
- B & P §8761 – Who May Practice Land Surveying
- B & P §8762 – Record of Survey Requirements
- B & P §8765 – Record of Survey, When Not Required
- B & P §8772 – Monumentation Requirements
- B & P §8773 – Corner Record RequirementsJonathan Maddox brings his unique experience of being a map checker at the County Surveyor level, and also preparing hundreds of maps on the private side of the profession. This experience is vital in understanding the overall concept of map preparation. Technical requirement from the CA Professional Land Surveyor Act are reviewed thoroughly. The practical requirements are then discussed, such as establishment notes, narratives, methods of establishment, etc. Preferable map content from a map checker perspective is the key highlight in this class. We all know how it feels to have your beautiful map bloodied up after first submittal, so take the Jon’s advice in this class and avoid that.
After a four and a half year tour of duty in the U.S. Marines, Jonathan continued to work as a chainman, instrument man and survey party chief for private companies. Then he attended Oregon Institute of Technology in Klamath Falls, Oregon in 2003 and completed a degree in Geomatics. He has surveyed in Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Ohio, Pennsylvania and California. He is a licensed land surveyor in California with 25 years of progressive experience in the field, office, and education. He has a good understanding of how to apply the law as it relates to surveying and dealing with complex boundary issues.